BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Protective...good or bad?

People who know me well know that I am very protective of people that matter to me. I don't like seeing someone I care about get hurt or be taken advantage of. There have been times when I've let that protective side of me take action (most of the time it was not needed, my friends and family can take care of themselves quite well) and not always with good results.

Protectiveness (is that a word?) can be a good thing when looking out for your children. It helps keep them from things or people who could harm them. On the other hand, a little harm is what allows us to grow as human beings. I wouldn't be the person I am today had I not gone through some of the rough times I had as a child. Where do you draw the line? When is it okay to be protective and step in to help and when is it not okay? There are many schools of thought on this subject, but I can't say I've really found the answer to that question.

I have a friend who is currently going through some stuff. I feel that this friend is being taken advantage of and I would love to step in and "save the day" but at the same time, is it really my place to do so? Being outside of the situation, I feel like I can see the solution plain as day but my friend doesn't seem to see the same answer. Now, I could be (and frequently am) wrong about the answer to the problem. If I am wrong, it could ruin this person if I took any action. If I'm right, my friend's life could get much easier. So what's a person like me to do? Sit and watch and listen as my friend goes through all of this without saying anything? I'll tell you the answer I learned from a very wise lady I know (thanks Mom)...

My Mom taught me through her own actions in this area that sometimes the best thing that we can do for our friends and family when we see them going through hard times is to pray for them. We don't know all the answers since often we don't know the whole story (we only get one side). It is better to trust the One who sees and knows all than to trust our own judgement. So this is how I'm spending my weekend. Praying for my friend, and trusting that God has everything in hand and knows how to deal with the situation.

When I decided to pray for my friend, this song came to my head. I can't remember where I heard it but it suits this situation...

You know better than I
You know the way
I don't always need to know why
I'll take what answers You supply
For You know better than I

Thank you Lord that You know better than I...

4 comments:

Pamela said...

It is hard to step back in certain situations. May you feel God's peace as you pour your concerns out to Him.

Elayne said...

That's very sweet. Thank you Michele. I think your friend is VERY lucky to have you support her by praying. Besides, you will experience amazing peace as you pray because you will constantly be reminded that God is all-knowing and knows what is best in this situation so instead of agonizing and stressing over what to do or say you can have a restful weekend!!
Love, Mom

Jobina said...

I think that 9 times out of 10 the absolute best thing you can do is pray for that person. Of course, had my big sister not been a little protective of me in high school, I may have gotten pounded into the ground by grade 9ers who thought they could pick on me. Little did they know, I had a sister who looked out for me! Of course, I wouldn't put it past the Lord to have given me a way out either!

Anonymous said...

Turn it over to God. Remember he loves your friend (and everyone else) better than you or me ever could.