BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, November 28, 2008

On the Mend...

On Monday I went into the hospital to have a hysterectomy. I started off the day showing up at the hospital an hour late for my own surgery. I then proceeded to tell the doctors how they should do their job at which point a very nice man put a very nasty smelling mask over my face. They say that mask is to put you to sleep so you don't feel the surgery but we all know it's just to keep loud mouths like me from talking so much. In the blessed silence, my doctor proceeded to punch three holes in my abs and use those holes to remove my uterus (it's actually a little more graphic than that, but I'm trying to keep this PG rated)! It took me the rest of the day to wake up from that crazy anesthetic...I hate that feeling of wanting to wake up and not being able to. By the end of the day, I was walking around (yes, I am super patient!) and things were looking okay.

One thing that they do in the hospital when you have this type of surgery is attach you to these plastic leg warmer type things that inflate with air. These are supposed to help keep blood clots from forming in your legs. The nurses say it's like having a spa day because it massages your legs all day. *insert picture of me shaking my head* This is NOT the spa!!! Everytime that stupid machine would start inflating those leg warmers, I would jump because it always seemed to happen just when I was falling asleep. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that first night.

I spent three days in the hospital and left on Thursday morning. My daughter has not left my side for two days and my son was so relieved to see me, he spent my first night at home puking. Ah, the joys of children! So now it's Friday night and I'm roasting a chicken while my husband takes some time away from nursing me to do some work at a job that actually pays him! Honestly, I really am trying to take care of myself and I promise, as soon as dinner's done and the kids are in bed, my feet are getting off the floor and onto the couch for some serious R&R.

3 comments:

Elayne said...

I can just hear you instructing those poor doctors!! I only wish I could have been the fly on the wall AFTER you were off in la la land to hear what they were saying about YOU!! Haha!
If I wasn't a great big infectious germ right now I would be there helping like a dirty shirt!! Soon as my nose stops dripping and I can hear again I'll be there with bells on!
Be good to you!!
Love, Mom

Michele said...

Take your time Mom. The chicken turned out great and there's chicken broth coming your way soon. I don't think I'll make it today...maybe tomorrow...

Stacey said...

Glad you are on the mend. I remember walking the morning after my surgery and they thought that was impressive - same day wow!

The most annoying thing to me was the waking me up part. Just when you're about to fall asleep it seemed they were trying to rouse me. Uhg. I kept thinking I don't have a concussion what is this all about??! Do they still do that?

Glad to hear you're surrounded by your loving little munchkins and that John is being good to you.

Big hugs