BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 29, 2008

Sleep...the never ending battle...


My daughter Rowan and I are fighting a battle that seems to have no end. She refuses to sleep. She says she's scared, but she can't tell me what she's scared of. She just doesn't have enough words yet. It's the same time every night. She'll yell for me and want to sleep with me. If I tell her that she has to sleep by herself, she screams and wakes up the whole house.


As of right now, I have not given in to her wanting to sleep with me. I know that if I do, I'll never get her out of my room. She naps well (1-2 hours) and is eating well. Thinking about it now, I seem to remember a similar battle with Declan when he was this age. I guess I just need to keep repeating my cousin Maida's mantra, "this is just a stage, this too shall pass".


On the up side, Declan has been extremely helpful while I've been sleep deprived. Today he made breakfast for himself and his sister (yes that's right, my 7 year old handles breakfast on his own!). They sat at the table chatting and eating frosted flakes. Then Declan put up the gate that separates our living room from the rest of the house and played quietly with Rowan while I napped for an hour on the couch (his suggestion!). I don't know where this mature attitude comes from, but I'm grateful...soooooo grateful! My son is such a caregiver and I love him for it!


I have discovered that every stay at home Mom needs some support. Today, mine came in the form of a beautiful 7 year old boy. He is my angel in disguise...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michele, did I tell you that all last week when the kids were here Rowan never slept by herself except for naps? For the first 4 days I slept with her and the next few nights Declan did. OOPS! Maybe it's my fault and you are right, she'll get it out of her system as long as you don't give in and "this too shall pass"!
I noticed she ever asked for a doll or teddy bear to sleep with either. Maybe that would help?
Love, Mom

Jobina said...

Oooohhh, I love that picture! I'm with Mom about having a "lovey" to sleep with! Riker still does! Maybe one of those that you can warm up so it kind of feels like a body in the bed with her? Trinity's been using the "I'm scared" thing, except with her I think it's 80% ploy. We've taken a 3 part approach...
1. We talk about dark a lot and how it's natural and about the sun and moon and stars and how God made the dark too.
2. We're encouraging her to face her fears as much as possible. Like going into the basement by herself (she yells "I'M NOT SCARED" over and over at the top of her lungs!)
3. We treat it like it's a non-issue (unless she's hysterical or getting there. Then I comfort her and then leave.)
It seems like no "one thing" works for kids! I'd love to know what ends up working for you!

Stacey said...

That is a very cute picture of Rowan. She looks so peaceful there, hard to imagine her "screaming and waking up the house".

I have absolutely no advice for you of course. But I'm glad Declan is being such a good big boy and helping you out a bit. Very grown up of him!