BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Manitoba and Mother's Day...

I just came back from a whirlwind trip to Manitoba. I spent four days away from my kids and husband so that I could spend some time with my extended family. What fun! Since my trip was so close to Mother's Day, I started watching the females in my family in their roles as "Mom".

My sister, Jobina is the kind of Mom I would like to be. She's patient, she encourages her kids to be creative, and she makes it possible for them to grow spiritually as well. I watched her make a space suit out of an old paper bag for her daughter, I heard her sing church choruses with them at night, and I witnesses two children who adore her and love the attention she gives them. She's fair and firm with them. She disciplines when needed and makes sure they understand why she's disciplining them. She has two incredible little people there who are well rounded and really interesting to be around!

My Mom was also there. Jobina and I took her out for lunch for early Mother's Day. We had a great time eating, talking, laughing, and shopping together. What a great day! My Mom has a great relationship with both her daughters. How did she do it? LOTS of patience, and perserverence! I think I can speak for Jobina when I say we were not always the easiest kids to raise. We often pushed her away, and she just kept coming back! Now I can't imagine life without her! She's always around to talk to about anything, she spends oodles of time with the grandkids and loves each one like they are her own kids. She has tons of good advice to give but never pushes it on us. She has found that balance between being "Mom" and being "friend". My life would be very empty if she wasn't in it.

I also got a chance to see some of my cousins in their roles as Mom. My cousin Maida is an incredible Mom with 4 kids. She's a happy, vivacious woman who doesn't look nearly old enough to have the kids that she has. Two of her kids are entering the teen years, which are never easy. Maida really works on her relationship with these two. They spend special time together so that she can reinforce the bond she has with them as they start becoming more independent. This helps her children know that they can come to her with anything. They are great kids and she is truly a great Mom.

My cousin Rachelle has two kids, the last being only 5 weeks old. As busy as she is with that baby, her older child never feels left out. He is a well rounded little toddler who is affectionate and loving to all. Rachelle works hard to make sure her children get the attention they need. She's great at providing the boundaries that will help her children know what's right and wrong in a way that doesn't compromise their self esteem. She's a pleasant lady with a great laugh and even though she's got so much going on, she's always easy to talk to.

There are lots of people I have left out...but know that I think of you too! I have been blessed to have many amazing role models in my life. I take what I see other Mom's do and I try and apply that to my own life with my kids. Motherhood is wonderful, scary, frustrating, awesome, and intense. Were it not for the fact that I have a wonderful Heavenly Father to lean on when things are tough, I don't know if I could do it. Would I trade it? Not in a million years!

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

2 comments:

Jobina said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too! I'm sure you squished your kids really good when you got home! It was great having you here, hanging out in the same bathroom as we like to do and eating great food. Come again...anytime!

Stacey said...

welcome back... at least to the blog world. i talked to my dad on sunday (i call him every mother's day since mom passed away) and we had a nice long chat. he was tickled that you took him for lunch. glad you had a nice visit.