BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The art of procrastination...

I'm sitting here looking around my house thinking, there are many things I should be doing right now. Things like dishes, laundry, and general picking up of stuff. I do this every night. I wait until the last possible second to start doing the things I should have started at the beginning of my day. Why do I do this? I have a million reasons - all very rational in my mind.

1. I like the challenge of doing things in a time limit. Doing things at the last minute means I really have to race to get them done. Perhaps I like the adrenaline rush?

2. There are many things that are more fun than housework - like blogging!!

3. I hate housework and therefore put off doing it because I don't like it.

I heard once from a friend that thanking God for things makes them more fun. Thank God that you have dishes and food as many people go hungry. Thank God that you have clothes to wear and the means to keep them clean. Thank God that you have the means to give your children toys and movies and other things that can clutter your space. Thank God that you have a roof over your head to care for as many don't.

I have decided to try this technique and see how it goes. Maybe if I tell God how grateful I am for the things He has given me, I'll be quicker to care for them. I think I'll start right now!!!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Hey Michelle, congrats on your new blog, it looks good! As for procrastination, well, I'm an expert on every aspect except how to stop doing it. Good luck!
-Mark

Jobina said...

How this happened to both of us I don't know! I am constantly leaving my housework until 11:30pm. I've never tried this new method of yours for housework, I have tried it during my aerobics class though "Thank you Lord that I CAN move my body, please help me to keep moving it!"

Anonymous said...

I'm so tired today I think I need to pray "Lord give me the strength to procrastinate!" AAARRRGGGG!

Sometimes it helps to create a mood. Perhaps clean the kitchen table, spread a cloth over it if you like that, then light a candle for the middle of the table. This works nicely in the bathroom too. After you clean the sink and vanity, light a candle. It makes you want to clean the rest of the room. Has worked for me in the past. When you get to my age you just want to get it done right away before you run out of steam. Great music is always helpful but I really like the idea of thanking God for all His provisions! Keep cleaning!! Love, Mom