BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sundays and music...

Every third Sunday I have the pleasure of playing worship music with some amazing (not to mention talented) musicians in my Church. This was one of those Sundays. I have always been the type of person who learned more from the words of the songs I was singing than I did from the sermon (sorry Pastor Barry!).

There have always been some songs that I have liked more than others. Some choruses just seem "fluffy" to me. A lot of talk that really has no purpose except to make the singer feel good. I like songs that make a person feel convicted and songs that are awe inspiring. One such chorus is called "Today". Here are some words...

Today I choose to follow You
Today I choose to give my yes to You
Today I choose to hear Your voice and live
Today I choose to follow You

As for me and my house, we will serve You
As for me and my house, we will spend our lives on You

Wonderful Counsellor, Everlasting Father
Eternal King, Lord of Hosts, Willingly we follow...

I love those words. When sung from the heart, they are a promise to God that you will follow Him. The best music in the world to me was hearing my son sing that song at the top of his lungs in church when he thought no one was listening. There is truly nothing sweeter...

I also like songs like "In Christ Alone". It's like an anthem! The first time I heard it I was sitting next to my Grandpa in his church. We both sang at the top of our lungs and I was pretty teary by the end of it. I said to Grandpa, "If this is what your Church plays every Sunday, I'm moving here". He said, "There's lots of room for you". What a great memory. Every time I hear that song, I think of my Grandfather and his love for his Saviour as well as his family. I think of all the ways he has shown me examples of what a relationship with God should be like and I'm grateful.

I love music. So many different songs speak to me at different times. Does music ever speak to you? What songs mean the most to you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful song and you are so right about Grandpa. The last time I had tears in my eyes as I sang was some time ago in my car, I was not listening to music but this old, old song came to mind and I sang as the words suddenly spoke to me and my predicament:

What a FRIEND we have in Jesus,
ALL our sins, and griefs to bear.
What a PRIVILEGE to carry everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what PEACE we often forfeit.
Oh, what NEEDLESS PAIN we bear.
All because we do not carry EVERYTHING to God in prayer.

Have we trials? and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should NEVER be discouraged.
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise? forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there!

I weep just thinking about all that God offers to do for us. It leaves us to live lives of TOTAL FREEDOM!

I wish I could have heard Declan sing!!
Love, Mom

Jobina said...

I wish I could have heard Declan sing too!
I love so many songs of such a wide variety of styles, it's hard to choose which ones impact me the most. I'll give an example of one though...Blessed be the Name of the Lord. One part that really sticks out at me is,
Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be,
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

I'm sure there are many, many people who would say that I have no idea what suffering is really like and maybe they're right. But I remember very clearly singing this song in church and having tears pouring down my face. I felt like I was facing something so hard, I felt like it hurt to give, like it was a dark place and yet my heart was lifted in worship; so thankful that God loves me and He picks me up and carries me through the crap that I sometimes have to walk through. I love songs that exalt God because it reminds me of who He really is...the great "I AM".

Michele said...

I love both of those songs! Jobina, I like your description about how you were feeling when you sang that song. I've felt that way but I don't have the gift of description.

He really is the great "I AM" and the Giver of Eternal Freedom. We are so blessed to have a Saviour who can use something as simple as a song to move us.