BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 7, 2007

bodies...what's the deal?

I have tried for years to figure out where my body type came from. You know how you read those magazines that say, you're pear shaped, or you have an hour glass figure...is there such a thing as brick shape with chicken legs? Because that would be me.

I have yet to find a clothing company that makes clothes for my shape and height. There is no such thing as jeans for women who have long legs and no bum or hips. There is no such thing as a fitted dress shirt for women who have nearly the same measurements for their chest and their waist. There is also no such thing as a PRETTY bra that will pick up "the girls" and put them back where they belong instead of letting them dangle somewhere around my navel. Honestly, do all bras this size have to look like they belong to Broom Hilda?!!? If I had any capabilities when it came to sewing, I would simply give up shopping and make all my own clothes. If any of you are budding fashion designers, try to come up with something flattering for my figure - I dare you!

Don't get me wrong. I'm okay being who I am. I do sometimes wish I could just move my "weight" around a little bit. Sort of like Robin Hood. I want to take from the rich (stomach mostly) and give to the poor (bum, hips, even a little in the chicken legs and feet would be nice).

Now I could just watch what I eat, exercise and lose the weight I don't want around my middle. The problem there is that I'm afraid I'll also lose what little I have in the areas where I want it! It's a complicated life I lead...

My Dad told me once that he didn't like it when I talked negatively about my body because half of what I am comes from him. Dad, if I looked half as good as you, I would never have a bad thing to say. You are gorgeous!!! I have always felt that humor is the best medicine for pretty much anything. I think we should be able to laugh at ourselves and poke fun - just a little.

I do say a lot of things about myself, but really, I love who I am and I'm even okay with what I look like. So long as there are stretch pants so I can breathe and duct tape when I want to let the girls stand up and be counted...I'm good.

How do you cope with your body type? Are you able to use a little humor when looking at yourself?

3 comments:

Jobina said...

YOU are a funny lady! Ha! I don't really think that I use a lot of humour when it comes to looking at myself. I look at the parts I like and smile...then I close my eyes to the rest! The part I struggle with is the amount of looking at "Self". I don't want to be obsessed with myself whether it's obsessed-positive, or obsessed-negative. I don't want to spend all my time beating myself up or working myself to the bone. I want a happy, healthy medium, mind, body and soul.

Stacey said...

For me with years came acceptance and a certain comfort level. Yes I still struggle a little with body image as if I were back in high-school (in the days when you wished you could be anorexic or bullimic (we used to take exlax and do other horrible things)). Not that I wish those things now but have the same feelings sometimes when looking at myself--mostly they are passing moments though and not obsessions. I agree with Jobina--a healthy medium is best. If you're too complacent, sometimes you don't pick up your socks when it's time to skip dessert and hit the treadmill!!

Elayne said...

This blog is just a taste of what you'll hear when Michele gets up on stage with her first solo comedy routine!!
You are beautiful, my child!
Love, Mom
PS...and you are also very funny....