BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

French Onion Soup...

I decided to make homemade French Onion Soup for supper today. I found a really easy recipe and it was a huge hit! Here's the recipe for all you fellow onion soup lovers out there! This makes 8 servings.

1. Heat 2 tsp EVOO in large pot on med-high heat. Add 3 lbs of thinly sliced onions. Stir ONLY when onions begin to brown. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15-20 minutes or until onions are tender and evenly browned.

2. Add 1 cup of chicken or beef stock (I used chicken for this part). Bring to a boil and simmer until stock has evaporated (about 15 minutes). Add 1.5 - 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and cook for a few minutes longer.

3. Add 8 cups of beef broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

4. To prepare croutons for soup, arrange french bread sliced 1 inch thick in a single layer on a baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp EVOO, 1 clove garlic, a pinch of dried thyme, salt and pepper. Brush on top of the bread. Bake in a preheated 400 (F) degree oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned (this step took 5 minutes in my oven).

5. To serve, ladle soup into ovenproof onion soup bowls. Place a crouton on each. Sprinkle evenly with a mixture of mozza and parm cheese (do this to your own tastes). Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!! I know we did!

Tomorrow night...porcupines...yumm!!

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Yum! That sounds fantastic and I am a fan of french onion soup too! Thanks for your post on my blog - I came straight over here to grab the recipe!

Jobina said...

Oooo, that sounds good! Hey, you never said how the battle is going today!?

Michele said...

The battle goes okay today. I managed to talk one person into giving me a cigarette (I know, I'm bad). I smoked half of it and felt yucky so I gave it back. So I have had one half of a smoke in the last 2 days. Not bad considering I was smoking nearly a pack a day as of two days ago.

Thanks for asking!

Jobina said...

Get right back on the program girl!!! I'm sure there's a dust bunny somewhere in your house that you can take things out on! Hey, if you can't find any you can come here and clean the filth in my house! I have a whole colony of dust bunnies and that's just under my couch!!! Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Yup! It was getting a little crowded in our bedroom too so got rid of the bunnies under the bed yesterday! The room suddenly feels a lot bigger!
This can't be easy but we're all rooting for ya!
Love, Mom

Stacey said...

keep it up Michele! You can do it! Go Michele go!

I don't know what you're doing to try to quit. Cold turkey? The patch? Something else?

Don't beat yourself up too bad. Don't be an all or nothing girl (my down fall when it comes to working out). So you had half a cigarette. It's not starting over, it's just continuing on your path to a healthier lifestyle and a more padded bank account!

One person I know who quit recently said he couldn't do it without replacing it with something that would benefit him. So he got really into working out. He got a bit obsessive about it which isn't really a realistic lifestyle change either but at least it kept him focused on something and he got in really good shape too!

You can do it!