BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Linguini with Grilled Seafood and Pesto Tomato Sauce...

This was a HUGE hit in our house today. Hope you enjoy it!

1/2 lb cleaned large shrimp
1/2 lb scallops
2 tbsp olive oil divided
1/3 cup tomato pesto or regular pesto, divided ( I used Classico Sundried Tomato Pesto but I will include a recipe for tomato pesto in this post)
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic (I used two and it was more than enough)
Pinch of hot red pepper flakes
1 28-oz can plum tomatoes with juices
3/4 lb whole wheat or regular linguine or spaghetti (I used a mixture of whole wheat and white spaghetti)
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. In a large bowl combine shrimp and scallops with 1 tbsp oil and half of the pesto.
2. Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook gently for a few minutes without browning.
3. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cook gently for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thickened, breaking up tomatoes as you stir. (You can puree the sauce at this point if you wish)
4. Grill seafood just until almost cooked. Add seafood to tomato sauce and combine gently. (I just cooked the seafood right in the sauce. It saves you a step and a pan. It turned out great)
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling water until tender but firm. Drain well.
6. Toss pasta with sauce. Add salt and pepper. Top each serving with approx 1 tsp pesto or to taste. (I just tossed the remaining pesto in the sauce and it was great. I don't think you need to put it on each serving unless you think it looks pretty)

Tomato Pesto (I didn't use this recipe because I thought sundried tomato would be better. I think I was right. But just in case you want it, here it is...)
In a food processor, chop 2 peeled cloves of garlic. Add 2 cups of packed fresh basil leaves and 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts. Chop. Add 1/4 cup v-8 or tomato juice and 1/2 tsp pepper and puree. Makes about 1/2 cup pesto.

2 comments:

Jobina said...

mmmm, that sounds good!

Stacey said...

Wow you are turning into quite the little cook! A bundle of energy aren't ya?

This sounds really good! Sorry the Beef Sukiyaki thing didn't go over but thanks for posting the recipe. I on the otherhand LOVE mushrooms and sprouts!