BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My little man, Declan...


Declan is an incredibly self sufficient little guy. He always wakes up before the rest of the house. Lately he's decided that breakfast is something he can do on his own. Today I woke up to see my son sitting in front of the TV eating the last quarter of a ham that I had baked. When I asked him what else he had for breakfast, he replied, "two oreo cookies"...sigh...


I have tried very hard to teach my children about proper nutrition and which foods are best suited to which times of day. Declan is more than capable of making himself cereal or toast, he just doesn't think about doing it first thing in the morning. I have decided that I'm going to help him with this. No, I'm not getting up and rediculous o-clock in the morning with him, that would be insane. I AM going to set up his breakfast for him so basically all he has to do is sit down and eat in the morning. Tonight I put out a bowl, spoon and his favorite cereal on the table. I found a little container that works for milk and put it in the fridge with his name on it. I wrote him a note (he's a good reader) to tell him what he needs to do (just in case) and now I'm going to pray that he does the right thing and doesn't eat me out of all my cold cuts!


Here's to our kids, trying to help us out by feeding themselves! I give him an A for effort!

6 comments:

Jobina said...

I think it's "E" for Effort, but what ever! :)
Those crazy kids huh? mine have just started this too! I might just have to invest in a tiny pitcher for milk too.

Elayne said...

OK that just makes me hungry for a chocolate dip cone. I dreamt last night that I ordered a chocolate dip cone at Starbucks. You should have seen what they gave me. It was the size of a marshmallow!!

Stacey said...

Elayne you dreamed about ordering a chocolate dip cone? I think you should go out and have one to satisfy your craving! haha The size of a marshmallow, too funny.

Well I just read that one slice of veggie thin crust pizza is ok to have for breakfast. It's so us non-breakfast eaters are encouraged just to eat something in the morning I think. I don't like breakfast foods. So Declan sort of has the hang of it I guess. Maybe the cookies are a little over the top! haha I give him and A for affort (Mennonite style) too

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!

What also works is having out uncooked oatmeal. Add some dried fruit, nuts, and milk (and maybe some honey) and it's a very healthy breakfast cereal that they "make" themselves.

Michele said...

Jason, that sounds really good except that Declan wouldn't touch a piece of fruit dried or otherwise. He's a picky dude. As it turns out he didn't see my note but chose to play a video game until I got up. I think now that I've shown him what I'm up to, he'll know what to look for in the morning!

Elayne said...

That's what I get for going to bed hungry!! I woke up hungry too (but not for a chocolate dip cone! Ha!)